[GNC] How do you edit the defaults for new account creation?

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 22 01:39:59 EDT 2018

John,

It’s not entirely clear what you’re asking for. It sounds as if you want to create year-based account trees within your main GnuCash data file. IOW:

Assets:Checking:2017
Assets:Checking:2018
Assets:Investment:2017
Assets:Investment:2018

or perhaps:

Assets:2017:Checking
Assets:2017:Investment
Assets:2018:Checking
Assets:2018:Investment

There is nothing to prevent you from implementing such a structure, but it will likely result in a great deal of work for you, as there is no automation to support this.

If, however, you are looking to set up separate annual data files for gnucash (i.e., mybooks-2017.gnucash and mybooks-2018.gnucash) you should look at https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Closing_Books <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Closing_Books> for discussions relating to this. The short answer to your specific question about availability of automating tools is, “no, there are no such tools.”

I will also tell you that a perennial topic on these lists is whether or not such steps are useful or needed, with opinions on many sides. You could google “closing books site:lists.gnucash.org <http://lists.gnucash.org/>” to see some of these discussions.

HTH,
David T.