[GNC] Operating Checking Account in Overdraft

Christian Kluge frakturfreak at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 15:10:37 EDT 2018

Am 02.08.2018 um 16:41 schrieb Mike or Penny Novack:
> On 8/2/2018 9:21 AM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
>
>> I have sent an email to the Australian and New Zealand Chartered
>> Accountants asking them the question.
>>
>> I will let you know what they say.
>>
>> Kind Regards,
>>
>> Murray
>
> This is something we here in the US can't help much on because we do not
> have "two way checking accounts". We might have checking accounts with
> "overdraft protection" but with those the credit balance situation is
> assumed to be temporary. We might have lines of credit accounts against
> which checks can be written (normal way to make disbursements from the
> account) but with these the balance is almost never* debit, the account
> a liability. What we don't have is accounts designed to be used either way.
>
> Michael D. Novack

In Germany this account would also be listed as a liability on the
balance shield.

In fact the accounting program I use at work lets you select secondary
account types so that accounts with a negative balance get assigned a
new position on the other side of the balance sheet.

Maybe this could also be a possible idea for GnuCash.

Kind Regards,

Christian Kluge