[GNC] When changing to different version of GNUcash what should be done with data base or files?

aeneas receiver at gowdygroup.net
Wed Aug 1 17:20:06 EDT 2018

Well now, I'm glad I asked.  The referenced links do provide useful details
that I didn't know and that does look useful.

I probably should have included a few more facts which follow:
- OS:  Windows 7
- GNUcash Version:  2.6.15 (I believe for more than a year)
- Data format:  File (SQLite)
It looks like the current version is 3.2 and apparently the last of version
2 was 2.6.21.

I've decided that using the PortableApps version of GNUcash has some appeal.
One factor is that it is pretty easy to setup a new jump drive when it comes
time to migrate.  This allows easy path to a new release that has no affect
on current operational version.  Also, based on information learned from the
referenced links (above) it looks like the PortableApps version has done a
very nice job of locating all of the applicable data within the folder
structure used for GNUcash Portable.  I was able to copy my SQLite DB file
to what looks to be the GNUcash preferred location and open it without any
problem.

That's all been real nice.  However, my question comes from the fact that I
have enough experience in data processing to know that the kind of issues
I'm concerned about don't necessarily reveal themselves instantly.
Furthermore, with this type of application it doesn't take very long to
become very invested in the new version and the idea of going back to the
prior release becomes a major problem to do correctly.  Thankfully the prior
version, in this case, is sitting there completely undisturbed because of
using portable GNUcash.

Therefore, I'm thinking there may be some merit to following a particular
path when undertaking a migration such as this.  For example, what about the
following ideas:
- Is there any merit to the idea of making a conversion to Version 2.6.21
prior to converting to 3.2?
- Is there any merit to choosing a different data format, such as XML, to be
used for migration purposes?
Sorry to be a bother but this does seem to me to be a subject that everybody
using GNUcash ought to be concerned about.