[GNC] survey: unifying the appearance in different options dialogs

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Fri Aug 3 09:43:48 EDT 2018

Op donderdag 2 augustus 2018 22:21:57 CEST schreef Di Mang:
> > > On Aug 1, 2018, at 4:57 AM, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be>
> >
> > wrote:

> > completely

> > space

> > > This doesn't make sense to me. If we move to "tabs" on the left for at
> >
> > least
> >
> > > one option window, we need to dimension the window anyway that it will
> >
> > fit on
> >
> > > the smallest screen we wish to support. How would this minimal dimension
> >
> > be
> >
> > > affected by the number of "tabs" in that area ? (I'm quoting "tabs"
> >
> > because
> >
> > > it's not the exact term for the exact widget I had in mind, more on that
> > > below).
> > >
> > > Having a consistent way to represent options throughout the application
> >
> > is
> >
> > > more important to me.
> >
> > I agree. Options shouldn’t switch to one or the other based on their
> > quantity. All of these dialogs should be consistent. And if it can work
> > once...

> > main window:
> > an exception, because of dynamic tabs (with a scroll bar if

> > > Indeed, although a scroll bar for tabs is a bit awkward.

> > tabs on the left side (like

> > > I suppose you mean “many" preferences.
> >
> > Perhaps the
> > ‘main’ app preferences, which does use the sidebar list. The Gnome desktop
> > does the same.
>
> Yes,
>
> I meant here the "main" app preferences: like "Edit" > "Preferences" in
> GnuCash.
>
> For more clarity find examples of different dialogs in the appendix.

On that image:
* I now understand with "scroll bars" you mean a way to scroll left or right
if there are more tabs than fit the window. I took it for a complete scroll
bar, where you just mean a left and right arrow. So we agree here.

* The lower right image is an assistant as stated earlier, and should not be
compared with dialogs or windows with tabs/lists. We don't control the visual
behavior of these. It comes from gtk.

* The two dialogs (one with many and one with few tabs). I still don't see a
reason to make an exception based on the number of tabs. For me all options
dialogs should still behave the same and so use the same ui components.

> > > Here's a video of another application implementing this behavior (though
> >
> > from
> >
> > > the KDE world):
> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H24jdjE5Q6E
> > >
> > > Clearly this is for gnucash 4.x at best...

> > Interesting. I don’t suppose Gtk+4 has this in the works?

Adrien, I have no idea if Gtk is heading in a similar direction or not.

Regards,

Geert