[GNC] What does this mean?

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Sun Aug 5 07:47:41 EDT 2018

Daniel,

I'm not sure what the other uses of the "Num" field are but the one I came
across was to change the order of display of transactions within the
register. The default order is from memory based on  a date time stamp which
is under some circumstances (e.g. import from CSV where there is no time
allocated to a transaction) allocated a nominal time of entry for the
transaction. This can result in transactions being displayed in an order
that doesn't make any logical  sense  i.e. . One use was to allocate the num
field values and sort transactions on that basis within the account display
to override the datetime stamp order. The allocation of a separate number
for each split allowed the ordering to be specified separately in the
different account registers which were affected by the splits of a
transaction. You may find other uses by searching the forum archives. I
looked at using it but gave up as the manual allocation of numbers required
an effort I wasn't prepared to involve myself in.

Other people may have devised other circumstances when it can be used to
advantage.

David Cousens

-----
David Cousens