[GNC] Forcing a single payment to split across invoices with the older one not being paid in full

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Aug 6 16:05:06 EDT 2018

I have a customer that has several invoices open. The oldest one is rather large so they are paying in installments. But when they pay these installments they are also paying newer smaller invoices.

But when I enter a payment GnuCash won’t let me split the payment between the two. It forces the entire payment to the older invoice. (yes, I selected both in the Process Payment window) This leaves the newer smaller invoice as ‘unpaid’ and the older invoice as having more payment applied to it than should be.

I can’t fix this in lots (as far as I can tell) since there is only the one split.

If I try to adjust the payment transaction (from my cash account - not A/R), that is, I’ve tried changing the amount posted to A/R to reflect the larger payment on the older invoice, and then manually add a split to cover the new invoice, and then ‘Edit Payment’ but GnuCash complains that one of the splits is in a business account that isn’t a business transaction and tells me it’s going to be ignored.

So what I have is something like this:

Dr. Cash	$500
Cr. A/R			$500

But what I need is this:

Dr. Cash	$500
Cr. A/R			$450
Cr. A/R			$ 50

If the older invoice was being paid in full, this would work just fine, but there is still a balance. GnuCash won’t let me split this payment and retain everything in a single transaction. I suppose I could create two separate payment transactions, but then this breaks up the actual customer payment amount and makes it look like two payments instead of one.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Adrien