[GNC] How to stop credit notes from being automatically applied to newer invoices

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Mon Aug 6 16:31:36 EDT 2018

Op maandag 6 augustus 2018 22:09:47 CEST schreef Adrien Monteleone:
> I issued a credit note to a customer for materials that is going to be
> applied to a future invoice when the work is completed.
>
> In the meantime, I’ve done other unrelated work for the customer and each
> time I post those invoices, the outstanding credit note is automatically
> used to offset them, sometimes partially, which is quite a mess. I have to
> keep editing the Lots window and deleting these errant splits so the
> invoices properly show as needing to be paid and the payments can properly
> be applied.
>
> Is there some way to prevent this credit note from being used to offset an
> invoice automatically? I don’t necessarily want to unpost it, but I don’t
> want to ‘pay’ it until the relevant job is complete, at which time I’ll use
> it to offset *that* invoice before issuing it to them for final payment.
>
> Would assigning a ‘job’ to the credit note prevent it from being used
> automatically?

I don't think a job will make a difference.

However you can disable automatic payment assignments in general in
Edit->Preferences->Business.
There you will find an option "Process payment on posting" for invoices and
bills. If you disable these, credit notes should not be applied automatically
any more. Obviously other pre-payments won't either.

Geert