[GNC] liability or expense

Baldero Mendoza bzy711 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 16:59:07 EDT 2018

Please be patient with me - brand new to this.

Household financial stuff. I want to post a "google play" purchase.
Should I post as an expense or a liability?

I have accounts open for things like "electricity" and that seems to
work just fine, but "google play" looks like it works sort of like a
credit card, so I listed it under  "liabilities", and that seems to
work too. I made the connected account "checking" and it all seems to
balance and work.

However, what bothers me is that the "google play" entry under
"liabilities" is listed as a red negative number. So I have two red
negative numbers listed now, one under "liabilities" and one under
"google play". Everything balances, so is it okay or should I place
"google play" purchases as "expenses"? (I just started gnucash so
there aren't any credit card or debit card purchases yet.) The
"expenses" stuff gets listed as black positive numbers even though
they're an outflow of money just like the "google play" stuff under
"liabilities". Maybe it's optional and can be done either way?
Confusing.

Thank you everybody!