[GNC] Matching/reconciling transfers from different banks

brainwash ligius+gnucash at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 19:19:05 EDT 2018

Hello,

I've set up GnuCash to work with two different banks and their respective
online systems. However, I can't get transfers between two accounts (at
different banks) to match. The problem is that both their description and
date do not match. Bank A transfers amount X at date D with a description of
T1. Bank B receives amount X at date D+2 with a description of T2.

I would normally just delete one of the transactions in a ledger and keep
the matching one, but, I want to keep the original description and date.
This is in case I get some tax audits later - but also for my sanity. If the
transaction date changes then the GnuCash ledger will not match the paper
trail (e.g. "Balance" will be different).

I could create a third virtual account which will receive payment from bank
A at date D and transfer the same amount to bank B at date D+2.

Right now the best option seems to leave everything against "Imbalance" and
make a mental note to check the description. However, I regularly go over
the imbalanced entries and move them to the right category, this will make
my job a little harder. It will also "hide" the traceability of funds when
doing reports.
Any suggestion is appreciated.