[GNC] GNUcash 3.2 flatpak file open issue

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Fri Aug 10 10:10:01 EDT 2018

I have been playing with the gnucash flatpak package in the last few days.

And I can add some information regarding the file open issues (though not
everything is clear yet).

For starters I can confirm that by default USB sticks and network shares are
not accessible. I have fouind this is due to flatpak's security policy which
states: by default allow as little access as possible. This clearly excludes
mounted media and network shares.

This limitation can be relaxed though with the "flatpak override" command. In
particular by running
  flatpak override org.gnucash.GnuCash --filesystem=<path-to-allow>

<path-to-allow> can be any filesystem path you wish to access from within
gnucash. For example on Fedora usb sticks are mounted under /run/media so I
have run

  flatpak override org.gnucash.GnuCash --filesystem=/run/media

And now USB sticks appear in the gnucash File->Open dialog.

It appears on Ubuntu and derivatives however usb sticks are mounted under
/media so on those platforms the command would become

  flatpak override org.gnucash.GnuCash --filesystem=/media

The same can be done for any network shares that are not mounted under your
home directory. For example if you have a mounted network share under /mynet
you can allow access by running

  flatpak override org.gnucash.GnuCash --filesystem=/mynet

One caveat:
I had some permission issues on my system, which I don't know were due to how
my system is set up or a bug in flatpak. As my flatpaks are installed system
wide, the flatpak information is stored in /var/lib/flatpak and only the root
user has write access there.

So I had to prefix each command with 'sudo'. With this the commands ran fine,
but I still had issues because the file permissions of the generated override
file and its parent directory, "overrides", didn't grant access to ordinary
users.

I fixed this by running following two commands:
sudo chmod o=rx /var/lib/flatpak/overrides
sudo chmod o+r /var/lib/flatpak/overrides/org.gnucash.GnuCash

You may or may not need to do something similar on your system. YMMV.

Hopefully this will make flatpak a viable alternative for more users that want
to try out gnucash 3 while it's not yet available on their preferred platform.

Regards,

Geert