[GNC] Production of UK VAT reports

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Sat Aug 11 03:16:30 EDT 2018

On Friday, 10 August 2018 12:27:12 BST Edacc wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There is documentation on employing a Gnuash account hierarchy to produce
> special purpose gl codes for VAT, and that is extremely helpful. I can see
> that a report could be then run against them to produce the numbers to go
> into the various boxes of the return and first time round the return can be
> filtered by 'before the cut off date' so transactions belonging to a future
> quarter are not included.
>
> Next time the VAT report is required for the following period the 'before
> date' filter stops me including post date transactions again, but how do I
> not include transactions dated within the prior period, but not included in
> the prior return?
>
> This is a common situation, especially with input transactions which can get
> 'temporarily lost' and are posted to the books after preparation of a
> period's VAT return although they are dated within that period. The proper
> thing to do is then to include them in the next VAT return, and because
> they are inputs there is no cashflow loss to HMRC so no hassle.
>
> Other computerised and paper systems I have seen have a mechanism to also
> mark all transactions included in a VAT report and form with either a simple
> 'VAT done' flag, or an identifier for the specific VAT period return the
> transaction has been reported on. I am struggling to find anything
> equivalent to this in GnuCash (and there is so much other real good stuff).
>
> Similar considerations would apply to UK HMRC NRLT, CIS, IPT, MGD and many
> other statutory schemes both in relation to the taxes due/deductible and
> total inputs and outputs. In regards the VAT I am thinking about the
> standard arrangement, not cash accounting or fixed payment on account VAT
> arrangements.
>
> If VAT returns are being done with GNUCash I am presuming there is a simple
> answer.
>
> Many thanks

Hi Edward.

I have been through exactly your scenario - completed the VAT return upto the
end of jusn (file during july)  only to have a (copy) Vendor Bill arrive due to
being "lost in the post" and well over a month late.

I handle this by recording the bill on the date it arrives and put notes both
on the paper copy and the GC transaction to explain the discrepancy  between
the official tax date the date of record.  I'll also pay it promptly rather than
30 days or whatever from the posting date.

the VAT is then picked up in the following quarter return correctly.  I also
compare the reports box 1 & 4 numbers with what the actual GC account say
should be due on the end of each quarter.

I hasten to add that this is only a very occasional thing for me, and while
not strictly following the rules, all the due tax is paid (eventually...).
Having been inspected, HMRC seem understanding of the real world not quite
meeting their rule book, and as long as there is an explanation and no tax
owing it seems to me that you get little more than a "don't do it again"
warning.

Maf.