[GNC] gnucash @ Mac OS annoyances

Thomas Klausner tk at giga.or.at
Wed Aug 15 03:21:16 EDT 2018

Hi!

I'm a long-time gnucash user, and tried out the Mac OS version (3.2)
for the first time today. I was using the official binary downloaded
from sourceforge.

I have the following issues that I hadn't seen before on other OS:

* When I start typing the Description, it auto-completes, but does not
  automatically select the completed part, which makes it much harder
  to write new entries.

  E.g. if I want to write "Bank" but "Bus" already exists, I get
  "Bankus" because "us" is not selected and automatically overwritten
  when I type the "u". So I manually have to select and delete the
  autocompleted part I don't want.

* When I enter an account name, ":" does not work to select the subaccount.

  I.e. when I type "E:C" I don't get "Expenses:Car" selected, but just
  "E:Cxpenses". I can choose the account I want with the up/down keys,
  but that's much slower with many subaccounts.

* I liked my Umlauts, but I usually enter them using "Option+u u".
  However, when I press "Option" in an Account Creation (or Edit)
  dialog, the input field loses its focus (it does work in
  "Description" fields when entering transactions). It also worked in
  the initial account creation dialogs.

  Here I have the workaround of entering the letter in some other
  application and copy'n'pasting it, and I don't need this dialog that
  often, but it would be nice if it worked anyway.

The first two items are quite annoying. Are there solutions or at
least workarounds for this?

Should I file bug reports?

Thanks,
 Thomas