[GNC] File Format Documentation (Bug 777893)

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Aug 15 22:49:01 EDT 2018

> On Aug 15, 2018, at 10:34 AM, Adrien Monteleone <adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> wrote:
>
> Since .gnucash is not really proprietary or somehow a special format from XML then I agree, the extension should be .xml.

Since the only supported operating system to ever use anything other than file extensions to associate data files with programs was MacOS up to MacOS X 10.6 (it used the “resource fork” and support for it was dropped along with PowerPC processors), changing the extension to .xml would mean either that GnuCash would be associated with all xml files or with none. I don’t think that would enhance the user experience.

The user does see XML (or SQLite3, MySQL, or PostgresQL) in the Save As dialog, so the documentation should explain the pros and cons of each as David proposes.

Regards,
John Ralls