[GNC] Cannot change preferences

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Fri Aug 17 03:27:26 EDT 2018

Actually as of gnucash 2.6 the preferences are managed via GSettings. On linux
this means the settings are stored in dconf by default. We had a few cases
early on where gnucash was installed on systems that didn't have dconf
installed. In that case GSettings will only store settings in-memory and they
will be reset each time you restart gnucash.

A few things to check:
1. Is dconf running properly on your system ?
2. can you edit the gnucash preferences using dconf-editor ? In the editor the
gnucash preferences are found under /org/gnucash
3. When you try to alter a preference via gnucash, are there any messages in
the gnucash trace file [1] ?

Finally as for the choice of account tree separator, you can choose anything
you like. Full account names are not file names so there is no interference
whatsoever between gnucash' interpretation of account names and the system's
file management.

Regards,

Geert

[1] http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Tracefile