[GNC] UK specific: any progress on MTD (Making Tax Difficult) ?

David Goodenough david.goodenough at broadwellmanor.co.uk
Thu Aug 16 15:00:25 EDT 2018

On Thursday, 16 August 2018 17:00:29 BST Alain D D Williams wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 04, 2018 at 06:46:25AM +0100, Maf. King wrote:
> > > This should be on the devel list perhaps.
>
> I have just subscribed there.
>
> > it does seem to me from reading the link provided in the OP that a GC
> > report or two feeding into a spreadsheet containing the "api magic" HMRC
> > talk about might be a way forward.  GC doesn't have to directly submit
> > the return to HMRC, if I understood the notes properly.
>
> This seems to me the easiest way forwards: create a standalone ''file
> transfer'' program that could send a GC report (well defined format, maybe
> CSV - looking like a spreadsheet) to HMRC.
>
> A separate program would probably be easier to get up & running and should
> avoid any re-certification issues that might appear if these needed to be
> done with every new version of GC. Such a separate program could also be
> useful to others (ie non GC users) who need a means of submitting to HMRC.
>
> I would be willing to help in writing/debugging such a (hopefully small)
> beast. I have no doubt that it will be more complicated than I would wish.
>
> I have not looked at the GC code, but I am an experienced programmer.
>
> Sorry for the delay in replying - been on holiday.
The problem is that GC needs to be allocated a program ID which we have to keep secret,
but needs to be issued to any user.  No ID and GC users can not go through the OAuth2
process every 18 months.

GC could put the code on a web site and have the GC code retrieve it, which is the cabinet
office solution to the problem, but given that the code to retreive it would be open source
GC would have no control over how the code was used.  If HMRC decide that someone
using the GC code is messing with their systems then they would ban that code and thus
all legitimate GC users.

David