[GNC] Column widths again

GT-I9070 H gti9070h at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 14:49:11 EDT 2018

Em seg, 20 de ago de 2018 às 14:01, Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> escreveu:

> IMHO, the column does not need to be documented becuase it is a
> non-servicible part.  It exists the way it does because that was the
> easiest way to get the register to store the meta-information about a
> rate.  It exists as a 1-pixel column because that's the narrowest you can
> make it.  There's no way to hide it absolutely completely, and duplicating
> the functionality in a different way didn't make sense when this way was
> available.
>
> I see no reason to document it, because it should not be editable by a
> user.
> I see no reason to document it, because in 99.9% of use cases, a user will
> not even be aware that it's there.
> I see no reason to document it, becuase if someone DOES see it in the
> documentation and does try to look for it and does find it and does try to
> meddle with it, they can do some pretty strange damage to their data.
>
> Anyways, that's my $0.02.
>
> Don't bother to even mention it; it's not worth your time to document
> something that users wont (and shouldn't) see or touch.
>
> -derek

Here are my $0.0001,

I use this rate column for a long time and I particularly find it very
useful to be able to see it to know quickly if it are filled correctly.

If the column is there and can be displayed and it has already been
discovered, it poses a risk to the uninformed user.

Perhaps the information should be documented with Derek's important and
critical observations. That would be better than a misinformation accident.
Myself even took the risk of damaging my data, and I just learned that now.

The information exempts the devs from blame.

Regards
GTI