[GNC] Gnucash 3 in the Debian / Ubuntu pipeline?

GWB gwb at 2realms.com
Tue Aug 21 17:55:29 EDT 2018

I'm not sure how the version history works in Ubuntu or Debian, but I
installed GnuCash 2.6.7 from getdeb.org quite a while ago, and
"pinned" it (so that apt-get upgrade would not go to the version up)
to that version hoping that gnucash in Ubuntu 14 would catch up with
2.6.7.  Ubuntu 14 ("Trusty Tahr") still only has 2.6.1, but 18.04
("Bionic Beaver" really? who comes up with these names?) has indeed
included 2.16.19, as John recalled.  18.04 is my next upgrade.

Every time I run "apt-get update" I am reminded that getdeb.org is
gone, and has been for some time.  Did getdeb.org have gnucash 3.0 at
some point before it went dark?

I don't see either the Ubuntu or Debian package maintainers (perhaps
the same person or team in this case) moving too quickly to upgrade
gnucash in their package repos.  But maybe I'm wrong, which would be
nice.  But if you do find a repository with 3.x.x, I would pin it (or
"version lock") to a lower version in order not to get too far ahead
of the main repos for your linux distribution.

Alas, 18.10 ("Cosmic Cuttlefish") lists:

gnucash (1:2.6.19-1)
    [universe]personal and small-business financial-accounting software

at https://packages.ubuntu.com/cosmic/gnome/

Perhaps 19 ("Vomiting Vole") will have gnucash 3.  Until then, check
for other repos, look in unstable and testing to see if some
adventurous soul decided to be creative, and unless you absolutely
need some feature in the latest release, pin your version and don't
get too far ahead of the main repo for your distribution.

Gordon