[GNC] Gnucash 3 in the Debian / Ubuntu pipeline?

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 04:05:45 EDT 2018

On Tue, 21 Aug 2018 at 22:59, GWB <gwb at 2realms.com> wrote:
>  ..
> Alas, 18.10 ("Cosmic Cuttlefish") lists:
> gnucash (1:2.6.19-1)

Looking at https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/cosmic/+package/gnucash-common
I see that version 3.2 is in the 'proposed' repository.  I hope that
means that it is intended that 3.2 should be the version at release.
For Ubuntu a later version of a package will not normally be included
after release of an Ubuntu version.  Bug fixes may be released but not
a version which changes the operation of the s/w.  The logic is
precisely your point about pinning, a user does not want the s/w
changing under his feet just by a routine update.  This means, for
example, that 18.04 is stuck with 2.6.19 for the life of 18.04.

Colin