[GNC] How Jobs Work ( was Re: Business Account Set Up Question & Customer Billing Question)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Aug 23 09:23:07 EDT 2018

Adrien Monteleone <adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> writes:

> Yes, thank you Derek,
>
> I was describing it backwards.
>
> A single invoice can have only one job and a single job can’t be used
> with multiple vendors. (or multiple customers, but I would think that
> to be a very rare case)
>
> So in addition to the first case, there is also the limitation that
> you also can’t buy supplies from multiple vendors on the same job.
>
> Or did I confuse that as well?

No, you go it right.   Think of a job as a "vendor contract", a way to
link multiple vendor bills together for some purpose.  I suppose I
should have named it "Purchase Order".

> The other part I never could understand was not being able to use the
> same ‘job’ for both a customer and a vendor. So even following the
> above limitations, I can’t use a job on a vendor bill to rebill a
> customer AND assign that job on the customer’s invoice?

See above.  A "job" is really a misnomer.  The idea was more like a
"Purchase Order" (PO).  A PO is a way to link multiple invoices
together, but a PO is only valid to a single customer or single vendor.

> I’m also not quite understanding your last caveat. So the Job is then
> not an extra layer of info, but replaces the Vendor/Customer? I think
> I’m truly lost now on the feature and its purpose.

Internally that is correct.  Because a Job (PO) has only a single
customer (or vendor), you can use a Job instead -- so the "Owner" of an
invoice can be a Job (which implies a customer).