[GNC] Cannot change preferences -- see bug 555187?

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Thu Aug 23 10:13:44 EDT 2018

Op donderdag 23 augustus 2018 16:00:24 CEST schreef Ken Heard:
> On 2018-08-18 13:38, Geert Janssens wrote:
> > Op zaterdag 18 augustus 2018 16:34:14 CEST schreef Ken Heard:
> >> Last evening I was thinking of filing a bug report for my problem.  In
> >> the process I found a previous bug report 555187 dealing with the same
> >> one (1).  This bug was originally filed on 2008-10-16, but the last
> >> comment on it by André Klapper was filed on 2018-08-17 13:58:19 UTC --
> >> yesterday!
> >
> > That bug is about GConf, which was used for preferences before we switched
> > to dconf. GConf and dconf are completely different tools and your problem
> > is with dconf so this bug is irrelevant here.
> >
> > The only thing André added yesterday was a message indicating that the
> > (old) GConf tool should be considered dead and burried. Which is fine
> > because gnucash has not been using it since version 2.6.0.
>
> Does the foregoing mean that directory ~/.gconf can be safely deleted?
> The most recent dates of the files in its subdirecties date from 2014 or
> earlier.
>
> Regards, Ken

I don't know. I know gnucash is no longer using gconf, but perhaps other
applications on your system still are (though unlikely).

The fact the most recent date in that directory is from 2014 means no
application you have run since that time has made changes in gconf, but some
may still read the current state.

Having said all that, it's unlikely there are still currently maintained
applications using GConf though. And if you remove the directory, worst case
is for those applications the default preferences are reset. You  won't loose
your data because of this.

If in doubt, archive a copy of the directory somewhere before removing. If you
find one of your applications starts behaving oddly (in the sense it's no
longer configured as you expected) you may check if it's still using gconf.

Regards,

Geert