[GNC] Balsheet-eg.scm problem

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Thu Aug 23 13:35:43 EDT 2018

On 08/23/2018 09:44 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:
> Op donderdag 23 augustus 2018 15:17:34 CEST schreef Derek Atkins:
>> Hi,
>>
>> "Stephen M. Butler" <kg7je at arrl.net> writes:
>>> I tripped over a few more typos that seemingly were unrelated to the
>>> errors produced.
>>>
>>> I can get this set of files to work usurping the balsheet-eg.scm
>>> report.  If I change that back to balsheet-fmtd.scm (and fix the name
>>> dependencies in the file), it isn't seen by GNC.
>>>
>>> Moving the files down to standard-reports throws other errors that I
>>> can't figure out.  So, what has to happen to get the report to load
>>> independent of balsheet-eg?

<snip>
>> I was under the impression that all the files in standard-reports get
>> auto-loaded.So just pulling a new report in there should be
>> sufficient.
> That is correct. However Stephen has put his customized balsheet-fmtd.scm
> report in
> /usr/local/share/gnucash/scm/gnucash/report
> instead of
> /usr/local/share/gnucash/scm/gnucash/report/standard-reports

I tried in standard-reports and it threw errors.  Moved back up to
report and it works.  I'm sure there is something about the code that I
didn't change correctly for the new location.

> Files in the former directory are not automatically loaded, a historical
> artifact we should one day fix.
>
>>  HOWEVER the e-guile reports MIGHT be different.
> What is different about the e-guile reports is that they are business reports.
> And contrary to the standard reports they are only loaded if explicitly
> mentioned in
> /usr/local/share/gnucash/scm/gnucash/report/business-reports.scm
> (in a use-modules construct).

Aha.  The missing piece of information.

>> Also, ensure the file name and path matches the module name.
>>
> This is the problem IMO. The attached balsheet-fmtd.scm (renamed to balsheet-
> eg.scm) defines this module:
> (define-module (gnucash report balsheet-fmtd))
> As this file replaces balsheet-eg.scm there no longer is a module defined by
> (define-module (gnucash report balsheet-eg))
>
> And hence gnucash complains it can't find that one.

I changed the define-module and the debug lines to match the balsheet-eg
name.  That got it to work.

> To solve this, restore the original balsheet-eg.scm and instead add a line in
> business-reports.scm like this:
>
> (use-modules (gnucash report balsheet-fmtd))

OK.  Will take this path.

> Better still: don't mess with the installation directory at all and instead
> follow
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Custom_Reports#Loading_Your_Report
> to load your custom report.

I tried that path and it didn't work.  One of these days I'll figure out
what I did wrong there.  But, if the above will work then I'm willing to
suffer making the changes for each new release.

> Regards,
>
> Geert

Thanks Geert.  I believe you gave me the missing piece of information
that I needed.

--Steve (feeling my way in the twilight)

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com
kg7je at arrl.net