[GNC] Not Getting Complete Stock Quotes with Price Database Tool

Dan Nelms dan99nelms at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 20:28:58 EDT 2018

I am using GnuCash v3.2 Build ID:3.2+(2018-06-24) with Strawberry Perl
Finance::Quote 1.47. It is running on Windows 10. I started using
GnuCash on January 1, 2018 in tandem with Quicken in an effort to get
away from the new Quicken subscription plan.

In the last 3 weeks the Price Database Tool will only provide quotes for
5 to 6 of my stocks and reports it is unable to provide quotes for my
other stocks and funds. I have 1 OTC stock, 3 NYSE stocks, 1 NASDAQ
stock, and 9 mutual funds. Since January I have had no problem getting
quotes for all of them with only an occasional stock not getting a
quote. I my last good quotes retrieved by the price tool for all the
stocks was July 31, 2018. I haven't made any changes that I know of in
the last 60 days that would affect this change. On July 31 everything
was working great. Then in the first week of August it is only partially
working.

What happened on August 1? Did Alpha Vantage start enforcing their 5
calls per minute limit for their free API numbers? Did something else
happen? Am I the only one with this experience? I don't care to get the
quotes manually and then load prices by importing. I need to determine
if GnuCash or Finance::Quote is broken or if Alpha Vantage is changing
the rules. Does anyone know? Thanks for any response.

Dan