[GNC] Learning relate Gnucash to bank in 3-letter anagram world

Jonathan Ames jnthn.ames at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 21:50:34 EST 2018

Hi --

Obviously I'm new to Gnucash, though I've had it four years and decided
after a few attempts that I had insufficient IQ, and was perhaps myself an
evolutionary side-track.

So on this last attempt I got accounts established; however, when time to
attach to bank, or even copy and download transactions, it's alphabet city.
So I don't lose my mind, someone please confirm that in 'open source' there
is no automation of such transaction, as there is in Quicken, YNAB, etc.. I
could download a QXF (or whatever) file to desktop, but could not bring it
into Gnucash. The "import" tab doesn't seem operative, though I got the QFX
from desktop into an odd file called "Imbalance" (unexplained). I then
attempted to transfer the file to my home checking; would not do. The
specific bank account behaves as if it were a placeholder, though it is a
named account under "Bank Accounts". Of course, the bank uses its own
categories; I would expect to categorize them as per "Common Accounts" list.

I see on the web that others have struggled with this basic, essential
function of any accounting program (such as Quickbooks, which I use and
want to discontinue).

I am running Sierra on an 8gb ram/512 gb storage. The help sources seem to
have skipped over this function -- working with bank accounts. Sure it's
there somewhere, though the three-step suggestion doesn't work.

So: is automatic connection to bank accounts possible? If not, how do you
"aim" downloaded QFX transaction files? Also, are Gnucash users mostly also
developers, with at least some college CS (who therefore don't need to pay
for commercial finance-tracking programs)?

Thanks, anyone.

Jonathan Ames, PhD
Clinical Psychologist
415 N. Tioga Street
Ithaca NY 14850
607-319-5118 - Office
607-227-4792 - Cell
jnthn.ames at gmail.com
www.whatnowconnect.com

Email Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this
transmission is confidential, proprietary or privileged and may be subject
to protection under the law, including the Health Insurance Portability and
Accountability Act (HIPAA). The message included in this email is for the
sole use of the intended individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If
you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use,
distribution or copying of the message is strictly prohibited and you may
be subject to criminal or civil penalties. If you received this
transmission in error, please contact the sender immediately by replying to
this email and delete the material from all computers.

<jnthn.ames at gmail.com>