[GNC] Text Files

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Mon Dec 3 16:02:22 EST 2018

Gareth,

If you chose XML format to save your data, all the data files are actually text files. The main data file and its
backups files are formatted internally with XML tags.  The log files have their own syntax for each transaction record.
You can open any of them with any text editor.

Linux reports the files ending in ".gnucash" as spreadsheet files and the ".log" files as Text files but that is because
of the mapping of file extensions onto file types used.

https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v3/C/gnucash-guide/basics-backup1.html

also https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Backup

David Cousens