[GNC] How to save Gnucash and Lock file issues

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 21:56:10 EST 2018

Lorrie,

If, at some time in the past you modified that data file with that (short)
filename by going into Edit  >Preferences > General and selecting 'Retain
log/backup files: Never, then no log or backup files will be generated.

You did not do that because you do see .log files being generated.
However, backup files are not made unless you have entered or changed a
transaction or information in the Accounts page, for example, and the
amount of time set in that preference section has passed.  A quick way to
tell if GnuCash will create a backup is to notice if there is a asterisk
before the filename in the title bar.  If so, the file is 'dirty' and needs
to be saved and possibly backed up.  If you do File > Save before that
amount of time has passed, there will not be a backup with the the long
series of numbers in the filename.  If you do File > Quit when there is an
asterisk in front of the file name, GnuCash will warn you that you have
unsaved data.

That is the long answer.

David C