[GNC] How to handle a Square Transaction

R. Victor Klassen rvklassen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 17:18:58 EST 2018

What I do for Square is basically the same.  I am using invoices for the transactions involved.  In fact, it’s more complicated, since a few customers at the farmers’ market will use square while the vast majority pay cash, and we treat the farmers’ market as a single virtual customer.  So when part of the payment for a day’s market is through square, the invoice is ‘paid’ through square - to the Assets/Current Assets/Square Payments account - and the remainder is paid to petty cash.

Then when Square pays (2-3 days later) I put in a split transaction drawing it down from Square Payments and dividing the full amount into the amount that goes into the bank account and the amount that goes to Expenses/Bank Fees (I dion’t distinguish Square fees at the account level).

Basically the same as below, but with the extra step of having an invoice involved.