[GNC] How to automate $ value on the contra account when editing a transaction

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Dec 6 10:41:55 EST 2018

DIW <wasserland44 at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Derek,
>
> I tried the Autofill method you describe.
>
> It was indeed a revelation.
> Thank you. For years I have been using the Duplicate Transaction
> method.  Though it didn't jump to to edit the amount nor did it edit
> the contra account - if I understood you correctly?

I'm not sure what you mean here.  When you tab out of the description
and it autofills the transaction, the next cell you get to should be the
amount, so you can change the amount for the current transaction.  It
skips over the transfer account.

IFF the transaction is a basic, 2-split transaction (and you're in basic
ledger mode) then if you adjust the amount it will also also adjust the
contra-account amount.  HOWEVER, if it's a split transaction, or if
you're in an expanded-view ledger mode then no, it will not adjust the
contra amount -- you will have to edit it manually.

> That said, using autofill, tab, is a much better method, just as you
> say.
>
> I see that I have started an interesting discussion on the subject :-)

Indeed, you have.