[GNC] How to Reclassify Invoice Amounts

Diane Trefethen tref at wakerobinranch.com
Sat Dec 8 14:50:51 EST 2018

Unless I misunderstand your situation, you are a small business, do
things pretty simply, and do not have a large accounting dept. If this
is so, then you don’t need to reclassify anything. The total billed for
your service(s) is Sales and all the “various expenses related to the
transaction” are booked as expenses when you enter the bills from YOUR
vendor(s), if you are on the accrual basis, or when you pay your bills,
if you are on the cash basis. [Side note: One thing you said worries me.
“Before I started keeping track of sales by invoice I would just splt
the transaction.” IF you “split the transaction” by breaking the invoice
total down into income, fees, shipping, etc, what did you book when you
paid your bills for those items? Take PayPal. If you used to book $1.75
of the invoice as PayPal Expenses AND you booked your bills from PayPal
as PayPal Expenses, then you booked each PayPal fee twice. This would
badly distort your P&L statement because you would be showing less
revenue than you were actually receiving and more expenditures than you
actually incurred.]

Be forewarned that Adrien’s additional GL posts like
Dr. Expenses:Insurance                          $192.15
Cr. Assets:Current Assets:Checking                      $192.15
are a mistake if you book insurance, PayPal, and other expenses when you
enter or pay the bills for those items. Doing it a second time will a)
throw your checking account out of balance and b) double book your
expenses which the IRS will NOT be happy about.

There is a misconception that accounting programs can do everything.
They can’t. There are many things that are better tracked separately
using spreadsheets and then booked into the accounting program with
end-of-month GL entries, like pre-paid insurance and accrued interest,
for example.