[GNC] GNU crashes when any Report is selected

AC gnucash at acarver.net
Mon Dec 10 13:23:49 EST 2018

On 2018-12-10 10:10, Arnie Reeves via gnucash-user wrote:
> Tend to agree Stephen regarding the possible effects of MS updates. My reports have always opened within a couple of seconds, that's why I thought 1 to 2 minutes was a crash. It would be nice for beginners to see a small text next to the "GNUCash not responding" message to advise them to wait longer. The gut feeling of "external influences" was immediate which is why I thought that reinstalling would perhaps fix a contaminated file. John's experience was of course correct in identifying a hang rather than a crash, and I'm grateful for his sound advice, but it's strange that this long delay was so suddenly  imposed. I could understand a gradual progressive delay as files got bigger.

The "not responding" text is inserted by Windows itself, not the
individual software that is having issues.  This is Microsoft's hint to
the end user to wait for something to happen.  If the software stays in
that state for some period of time then Windows will offer a dialog box
that asks the user if they wish to continue waiting or forcibly
terminate the program.