[GNC] Reconciling different periods?

elvis elvis at dogonfire.com
Fri Dec 14 17:39:42 EST 2018

Bite sized chunks, bite sized chunks.

Sometimes I get a few months and hundreds of transactions behind. I'll
go a few days at a time to get started then weeks. Trying to remember
what you did 3 months ago is hard! :-) But finding an error in 5
transactions is easy, finding it in 500 is hard.

Remember, you are never alone. There's you and the future-you trying to
figure out what you did just now.

On 14/12/18 8:07 pm, Finbar Mahon wrote:
> No Michael, thank you for the comprehensive answer.
>
> Like many others I suspect, Summer goes by quickly (in the Northern
> Hemisphere) and doing the accounts falls by the wayside :-)
>
> I am catching up and discovered that the reconciliation had strange
> balances (negative) in the reconciliation of one particular account.
> So, what I wanted to do was go back to the last 'good' reconciliation
> that I had on the printed bank statements for that a/c and work
> forward to discover where things had gone wrong. I suspect a date
> anomaly, an entry on the wrong date, maybe even the wrong year, finger
> problems :-)
>
> So, the ideas on this thread indicate the way to do it is to ensure
> the balance at the end of a good reconciliation is coincident with the
> bank statement and look to see what income/expenditures are listed in
> the attempt to reconcile after that date and may be wrong.
>
> I haven't tried that (coming up to festivites, other priorities) but
> I'll report here on the outcome. :-)
>

> On 13/12/2018 23:57, Michael Hendry wrote:
>
>>> On 13 Dec 2018, at 17:13, Finbar Mahon <mahon.finbar at neuf.fr> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks, Michael, I have been trying that using end March of this
>>> year as the last 'OK' date but doing it up to latest balance seems
>>> to catch other errors, so I  was wondering if  I could 'stage' the
>>> process.
>>>
>>> Looks like D's reply indicates I could do it by varying the closing
>>> balance to coincide with one I am happy with. Maybe a slight problem
>>> if the closing balance is duplicated elsewhere? Maybe unlikely.
>>>
>>> In fact by a combination of the two replies I can go back to the
>>> last 'good' situation and use the closing balance there as a
>>> starting point?
>>>
>>> I'll give the ending balance a try.

>> I’m not sure what you mean by “the ending balance” here.
>>
>> Let’s consider a simple situation: you have one bank account - what
>> we in the UK call a “current account”.
>>
>> For this example, consider that your financial year starts on the 1st
>> January 2018, and you have a bank statement for the period ending 31
>> December 2017. This will have a figure (say £x) for the balance on 31
>> December 2017.
>>
>> When you create this bank account in GnuCash, you set it up with a
>> starting balance of £x.
>>
>> Throughout January and into February you enter every transaction that
>> involves that account (payments into the account of cash and cheques,
>> withdrawals in cash, by cheque, direct debit, and so on).
>>
>> When your statement arrives for the month ending 31st January, go
>> ahead with the reconciliation. Because there are sometimes delays in
>> transactions hitting the bank account, Gnucash will have the correct
>> starting balance, but may have calculated the ending balance for the
>> month incorrectly - let’s say you issued a cheque on 28th January and
>> the recipient hasn’t paid it into his bank account yet. You should
> [...]

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning."