[GNC] How To Handle Prepayments

elvis elvis at dogonfire.com
Sat Dec 15 17:50:49 EST 2018

Unless you really need to do accrual accounting, then don't. If you are
never getting it back, it is not much of an asset.

Put it though as Insurance Expense, Initial Payment, Payment 2 etc.

Accounting is there to help you, not make more work to make it "correct".

On 16/12/18 7:06 am, tbalaban wrote:
> My Company pays an initial payment to our insurer at the beginning of each
> policy year. As we incur insurance costs based on event participants, that
> initial payment is charged. After it is exhausted we get a monthly bill for
> the amount due. In no case do we ever get the initial payment back.
>
> I'd like to treat the initial payment as a credit to insurer's A/P account
> then each month create a bill for the amount payable.
>
> Is this the correct way to handle such a transaction?
>
> Assuming it is, how do I credit the amount due from whatever account I
> posted the initial payment to?
>
> In practice we pay the initial payment in February, the start of our paolicy
> year. Usually, in April or May, the initial payment is exhaused and we have
> to send more money to pay that month's bill. I'm not at all clear on how to
> post this situation.
>
> I'd appreciate knowing how to do this in GNUCash as well as any comments on
> the applicable general accounting rules. In Quickbooks I could debit or
> credit A/R or A/P diectly and selects the customer or vendor required. Since
> that capabiity does not appear to be available in GNUCash, how do I post it?
>
> Many thanks for your already generous help.
>

> --

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning."