[GNC] Biils in credit

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Mon Dec 17 03:39:54 EST 2018

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 15:04:50 +1100
Andrew Clark <ajfclark at gmail.com> wrote:

> I get a bill from my electricity provider. For part of the year, the
> solar feed in payments mean our bill is actually in credit. eg.
>
> service charge: $30
> electicity used: $100
> GST (Goods and Services Tax): $13
> Solar feed in: -$170
> Total owing: -$27
>
> Then on the next bill the balance carreis over and the amount we're in
> credit goes up. There's nothing to pay on the bills, but when the due
> date comes GNUCash starts bugging me to pay them. I've been paying
> them from an asset account created to keep track of this balance.
>
> What the best way to keep track of this?

Mine is set up as advised on this list a long time ago....

I'm not using the bills feature for this, but a scheduled transaction
with the splits in place and some "placeholder" numbers to ensure the
transaction has the correct debit / credit entries would do well

So the solar feed in is
Income:Power:FIT
There is
Expenses:Utilities:Power
and a payment from (or to)
Assets:Bank:SomeAccount

I don't have to follow GST as the solar is not related to a business.

I assume you're in Strylia, and the Income is not taxable.

Liz