[GNC] "Save Report Configuration" Crashes GnuCash and Truncates saved-reports-2.8

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 11:15:00 EST 2018

David T,

I am a little bit behind, as I am still using release 2.6.x where x ranges
between 16 and 19 depending on which machine I have fired up, so I am still
looking at a file named saved-reports-2..4, but I think that it is not too
different from your file.

I think you are aware that the file is is a text file which can be opened
by any text editor, tho some may format the output more read-ably on your
screen.  I just looked at one of mine with gedit in Ubuntu and found it to
be quite readable, though the content appears to be computer code in the
language used to generate the reports.  In the 2.4 version the accounts are
coded by reference numbers, so it may be possible that mis-matches would
cause issues if applied to a different data file, but I would expect
GnuCash to react docilely to most common problems in this file.

It does seem odd that, in your case, whatever error is present can actually
crash GnuCash.

I suspect that you are actually asking the developers to create a testing
tool to validate the file contents in the user environment and, if
possible, correct errors or isolate them to prevent further damage.
Probably such a tool is needed to prevent the damage that you are seeing in
your case from happening in production use.  When to apply the tool and
whether to make it available separately to the user would be best decided
by the developers.

Also, a description of the format of the contents in some help file would
be useful to help in identifying problems with the file.

>From Geert's reply just before mine, I infer that the file is processed
sequentially report-by-report so his suggestion should succeed in isolating
the error in this particular case, although the program behavior is far
from ideal upon encountering the error.

David C