[GNC] Updating advice

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 04:57:25 EST 2018

On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 at 09:49, Finbar Mahon <mahon.finbar at neuf.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to do a backup of the current installation as of 31.12.2018 and
> install the latest version (3.3?) from 1.1.2019. First is this a
> worthwhile action and is there any particular process I should follow? I
> have looked around the documentation but I didn't find a "how to"

Do you mean backing up your accounts data?  If so then that is
something everyone should already be doing regularly.  A computer or
disk may go up in smoke (literally or metaphoricallly) at any time,
taking all your account history with it if you are not doing regular
backups.  See this for information on what to backup.
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Backup

If you mean you want to backup the software itself so you can easily
revert to the old version should you need to then that is not normally
something one would do, though I believe Windows has a mechanism for
keeping a snapshot of the current system so you can revert if you want
to.  You can always uninstall the latest and install an earlier one if
you want to, though it is not guaranteed that accounts data which have
been used with 3.3 will be usable with an earlier version, so you
might have to go back to an earlier backup of your accounts

Colin