[GNC] How to journal this transaction?

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Sun Dec 30 15:06:17 EST 2018

On 12/30/18 11:42 AM, gn00b wrote:
> Someone owes me $100 (Accounts Receivable). But instead of paying me $100,
> they pay for an expense of mine worth $100. How would I journal this
> transaction?

At some point you would have booked a transaction to create a short-term
receivable asset with a value of $100 and the other side against
whatever you used to lend them the money (cash, checking account,
credit-card, etc).  Let's say you gave cash out of your wallet (also an
asset account:

Asset:Cash  CR $100

Asset:Receivable DR $100

When that person pays your expense (say they pay $100 for your cable bill):

Expense:Cable  DR $100

Asset:Receivable CR $100

Note:  If they also paid interest of $5.00 for the use of that money
then the last would become:

Expense:Cable DR $105

Asset:Receivable CR $100

Income:Interest  CR $5