[GNC] Windows finance::quote does not work

ditch444 ditch444 at myonlineemails.com
Sun Dec 30 17:47:05 EST 2018

Hi,

I installed gnucash 3.3, 64 bit on my Win 10 computer. It starts up fine.
I ran "Install online price retrieval for gnucash" from the start menu.
After about an hour, it claims Strawberry perl was not installed and
could not find it. Apparently, the PATH variable was not updated with
the paths to perl. It says to update PATH but I could not find where
perl was installed.

Next, I downloaded Strawberry perl from strawberryperl.com (v 5.28.1.1
64 bit) and installed it. It says it was installed in C:\Strawberry. I
could not find any Strawberry dir on C:. I ran repair...same outcome.
I finally found that a strawberry perl was installed here:
c:\vtroot\HarddiskVolume5\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
Why it was installed here is a mystery.
I could not find strawberry perl in any start menu.
I looked under Uninstall Programs and perl is nowhere to be found.

Next, I downloaded portable strawberry perl and installed it at
G:\myperl. I manually added the necessary PATH items. Now perl worked
from a command box.

I ran perl -v and the version showed up, among other things.
I ran perldoc and documentation showed up.
I ran gnc-fq-check (from the gnucash\bin dir) and it was not recognized.
I finally figured out it is probably a perl script.
I ran "perl gnc-fq-check" and it dumped a bunch of variables, the first
one being "1.47" (version, I assume)
I ran "perl gnc-fq-dump -v yahoo_json USDEUR=X" and got the US/EURO
currency info.
I ran "echo (yahoo_json "PFN") | perl gnc-fq-helper" and got the last
price of the PNF ticker.

Still, gnucash says Finance::Quote is not installed properly. I've
rebooted, I've run gnucash as admin, but no luck.

I go under Tools > Security Editor and click on the only security I
have, HYT and it says Warning: Finance::Quote not installed properly.

Now what?

Doug