[GNC] Tutorial for moving stock between accounts?

Jon Leech oddhack at sonic.net
Mon Dec 31 03:33:23 EST 2018

David Cousens wrote:
> It is not very clear what situation you are dealing with. One would not
> usually move stock from one account to another as such. Their purchase or
> sale would normally be recorded in an Asset:Invetment account of type Stock.
> What you are recording is the exchange of money to or from your bank account
> (another asset account) when you sell or buy the stock. If you are buying
> and selling on overseas exchanges then you will have currency exchange
> considerations as well.

    I do know how to record purchase and sale of securities, but that's
not what I'm asking about.

    In this case I have literally moved the securities, by transferring
shares directly from one broker to another. No purchase or sale
occurred, and the basis information of the transferred shares is
unchanged (albeit only a portion of the shares in the source account
were transferred).

    Jon