[GNC] Tutorial for moving stock between accounts?

Jon Leech oddhack at sonic.net
Mon Dec 31 21:45:36 EST 2018

David Cousens wrote:
> In that case it is fairly simple. If you open the transaction in the account
> register they are in then edit the account entry split which debits them to
> that account and just select the new account you want to move them to in the
> drop down list. If you click on another transaction you will then get a
> dialog asking whether you want to confirm the changes. This will remove the
> transaction from that register. If you then open the new account  register
> you should see the transaction in the register for the new account.

    That would work if I were transferring all of the shares in the
account to another account. But I'm only moving a portion of them (which
I don't think I previously made clear - sorry for that). It may be that
I end up having to synthesize new transactions that didn't actually
occur to accomplish this (e.g. breaking the original purchase into two
parts for the shares transferred / remaining), but I'd prefer the
gnucash history to reflect actual events insofar as possible.

    There is very little about this topic in the mailing list archives.
The last time someone asked was about 5 years ago, AFAICT, and it
doesn't seem like the program is more capable in this area than it was
in 2013. But I am hoping someone else has addressed this specific
problem and documented how they accomplished it.

    Jon