Processing Payment to Vendor from Imported Checking

Fran_3 mailbox0600 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 4 14:38:47 EST 2018

 Setup:
a - Imported CSV bank transactionsb - CSV format = date,deposits,witdrawls,num,description

Discovered:
1 - Withdrawals must be positive number in CSV file (else show up as deposits in check register)2 - Must assign withdrawals to pay bills to Liabilities -> Accounts Payable during the import process
Then I can right click them in Check Register view and Assign Payment As will let me choose a vendor.
(1 above is true even if you label the columns deposits and withdrawals during the import process)
Questions:I - Is the process described above correct? Better alternative?2 - How would you properly assign a withdrawal for a loan to an employee or shareholder or other entity?3 - How would you properly assign a withdrawal that was a dismemberment to a shareholder?4 - How would you properly assign a capitol deposit to shareholder equity?
Thanks again for the help.
Fran3

    On Sunday, February 4, 2018, 9:32:29 AM EST, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> wrote:

 Op zondag 4 februari 2018 14:53:26 CET schreef Fran_3:
>  How to Assign imported checking transaction to a Vendor?
> All I can see is assigning to a Customer:
> See Click Sequence and Ref Manual 7.1 below for more detains.
> Thanks for any help.
> Fran3
> Click Sequence:- Imported Checking Transactions- Viewed Checking Account-
> Right Clicked a payment- Clicked Assign As Payment- Process Payment Window
> Opens- BUT only allows choosing Customer- Can not choose Vendor

The assign as payment logic in 2.6 is fairly primitive. It tests for two
things:
1. does the transaction has at least one split in an Accounts Receivable or
Accounts Payable account ? If yes to the first, it will only allow to select a
customer in the presented payment window. If the second it will only allow to
select a vendor in the presented payment window

2. if none of these, it will look at the sign of the checking split: is it
positive (that is you receive money) it will propose a customer payment,
otherwise it will propose a vendor payment.

And that's it. So does the transaction you have selected match any of these
that would lead to a customer selection (split in A/R or you receive the
money) ?

Regards,

Geert