Processing Payment to Vendor from Imported Checking

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Sun Feb 4 17:52:04 EST 2018

On Sunday, 4 February 2018 20:39:02 GMT Fran_3 via gnucash-user wrote:
>  Geert,
> There are three ways (that I know of) for a shareholder or owner to get
> money out of their business...1 - Pay themselves as an employee2 - Loan
> themselves money3 - Discernment- which is like a "dividend" payment to
> shareholders ( I think) But I'm no accountant... so someone else will
> surely weigh in on this. When is gnuCash 3 going to be released?

Hi Fran,

I'm not an accountant (or lawyer) either, but I have to say that what you've
written isn't my understanding of (UK) corporate law. I don't know where you
are in the world, so the below may only be partially true for you.

1. a shareholder of a ltd company can't take a wage unless they are also an
employee (directors are employees).  Often in small & family firms the
shareholders are directors, but the 2 roles are distinct & must not be
conflated.  If you're not clear about this, maybe talk to an accountant?

2. A loan.  not really getting money out of the company, as it should be paid
back in due course.  there are (in the UK, at least) some pretty stringent
anti-tax avoidance rules around loans, too.  Record as something like
Asset:Bank:Current -> Asset:LoansGiven:JoeBloggs

3.  IIRC, the term you want might be disbursement.  Yes, dividends are the
usual way shareholders get money from a ltd (or plc) company.   I record them
as transfers to Expenses:dividends. My accountant has never complained.

4. you didn't mention selling shares.  Again, a tax & legal minefield where
professional advice is required.  But it is a way of getting money as a
shareholder.

Note. I don't download transactions, so I'm not sure about this "assign as
payment" workflow you talk about.  All my transactions are either entered
directly in the registers, or for bills / invoices through the "Process
Payment" buttons which are outlined in the docs.

HTH,
Maf.