Getting started

N B Day nbday at fastmail.fm
Sun Feb 4 19:45:26 EST 2018

On Mon, 2018-02-05 at 00:05 +0000, Buddha Buck wrote:
> I don't know if it is what new users usually do, but I think it's
> probably
> one of the better ways to do it. A lot of the difficulties I see on
> the
> gnucash-users list come from trying to import data from other
> programs,
> especially multi-year Quicken imports.
>
> On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 6:52 PM Graham Jacks <grahamjacks at bellsouth.ne
> t>
> wrote:
>
> > I have been using Quicken for my finances for some years, but I
> > want to
> > change, and I like what I have read about Gnu Cash.  I’ve had
> > enough
> > experience with double-entry book-keeping systems to know what it
> > means.
> >
> > Would it be feasible to use my closing balances from Quicken, at,
> > say,
> > Dec 31 2017 as the opening balances to start my Gnu Cash financials
> > at Jan
> > 1, 2018?
> >
> > I plan to keep and be able to access my Quicken files for
> > historical
> > purposes (tax returns come to mind), but I was not planning to
> > import them
> > into my new Gnu Cash record.

What Budda Buck said.  When I converted to gnucash from that other
demands-an-annual-update software in 2008, I did what you propose and
also ran them in parallel for several months until I was comfortable
that I was getting things right in gnucash.  There is a bit of a
learning curve when transitioning but gnucash is so much better (and
free!) that it is more than worth the trouble imho.

We don't thank the developers nearly often enough for this wonderful
cross-platform software.

Good luck!

--
N. B. Day
39.4042 North, 119.7377 West and 1387 meters up, Temp: 18.3 C (KRNO)