How to relate Transfer Sales to Cash to Customer?

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at dialup4less.com
Thu Feb 8 16:38:18 EST 2018

On 2/8/2018 4:00 PM, Greg Feneis wrote:
> I suspect Gnu Cash needs a point of sale (POS) module to handle this
> functionality.

I think not exactly a module withing gnucash.

What gnucash would need is the ability to accept a feed from a (typical)
POS system. Whether a POS system is practical as an open source project
is another matter. Many (most?) that exist are tied to some company's
cash registers, may be scanning in customer ID << I am going by what I
see out there as a customer >>

Keep in mind, in the usual situation, you would NOT be wanting the sales
clerks (who are ringing through customers) to have any access to the
accounting system.

Open source POS (and inventory, see below) more practical based on the
assumption that instead of a cash register would be a general purpose
small computer the sales clerk used. Would be an app where a customer
number was entered, purchases one at a time (know what is taxable),
total the bill and note how paid (cash, check, credit card). Then feed
the accounting and inventory systems.

Michael D Novack

PS: Interfaces with an inventory system similar. There, ideally you
would want POS to feed inventory as well as "general ledger" and
inventory to feed general ledger. In our case, the general ledger system
would be gnucash.