Tracking credit card points

Aaron Laws dartme18 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 14:00:53 EST 2018

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 3:40 PM, AC <gnucash at acarver.net> wrote:

> I've decided to start tracking my points on my cards because the monthly
> statements do a poor job of  showing me the activity.

Sounds like a good idea. For what it's worth, I don't track this sort of
thing until it shows up on my statement at which time I credit
Revenue:Credit Card Rewards. For instance, with Amazon, I can use these
points directly at time of purchase, so
Expense:CD Player     $400
Revenue:Credit Card Rewards          $200
Liabilities:Credit Card                       $200
but with other credit cards, they are applied as a statement credit betimes:
Assets:Chequing Account    $200
Revenue:Credit Card Rewards               $200

I thought I would mention it in case it is helpful in any way. Your way
sounds more careful because you'll know how much of these points you have
before you spend them.