Applying Customer overpayments

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 15:58:53 EST 2018

copying to list - sorry still using a webmail interface I'm not used to.
-------------

Alan,

When making the payment, you should have had the option to choose the
balancing account, you would have had to select AR instead of Checking if I
recall correctly.

I'd delete the entire payment and re-apply it.

The overpayment resides in AR as a contra-balance. You could transfer this
to a Customer Deposits liability account if you think you won't apply it
for some time and don't want to lose track or just want to keep things neat
and tidy. Doing this also allows you to see WHO has overpaid/pre-paid and
by how much. If the money stays in AR it's just a lump total for all
customers. You could also end up with odd balances in AR and not see
clearly why at a glance without sifting through historical transactions.

Regards,
Adrien