Price Retrieval Failure, Part 2

D sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 10 12:21:32 EST 2018

John,

A little patience; I am honestly grasping at straws.

Given that I consistently have troubles that others can't replicate or don't experience, I am looking for some way to get back to what others have. That means trying to figure out what has been put in, and taking it back out again, to get back to ground zero, as it were.

In that vein, my question had to do with files that Gnucash has put in, that I have not explicitly, directly asked it to create. My data files are items I explicitly and directly asked to be created. I know about them, and can move them aside on my own.

Files in ~/ Library/Application Support/Gnucash are not things I have directly created. Although those items are a result of my actions (like saving a report), I didn't directly say "Gnucash, please create a file in that hidden folder, and call it saved-reports-2.4 ," for example. Ditto for the preferences file. I appreciate the leads.

Now, to start digging in to the whole Perl problem...

David

On February 10, 2018, at 8:41 PM, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:

> On Feb 9, 2018, at 9:52 PM, D <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Sorry to be replying to my own message, but it also occurs to me that, in addition to Gnucash, Finance::Quote gets installed. Given that my troubles in this instance are intimately linked to F::Q, what steps might I take to ensure that IT gets removed as well?I
>
> David
>
> On February 10, 2018, at 10:49 AM, D via gnucash-user <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:
>
> John,
>
> Thank you for clarifying. I'll note that Gnucash does put stuff into ~/Library/Application Support/Gnucash as well, so there is at least one thing that gets installed.
>
> I asked this question because I am still observing several "idiosyncrasies" on my system that no one else seems to be experiencing (such as this retrieval problem and my ongoing inability to get custom reports to load). Because I am experiencing such problems, it suggests a problem unique to my computer, and I was looking for a way to ensure that I was starting with a truly clean slate.
>
> If I delete Gnucash.app and move (or delete) ~/Library/Application Support/Gnucash, will that create a completely empty Gnucash environment, or is there another system location that needs cleaning?I

David,

GnuCash writes stuff to ~/Library/Application Support/Gnucash when it runs, mostly to save state but also to save things like saved report configurations. It also writes out your data files and their associated logs to wherever you tell it to. Where do you draw the line for what’s “installation”?

GnuCash doesn’t install F::Q, that’s a separate, optional, step using perl’s cpan module. Unfortunately uninstalling modules installed with cpan isn’t easy, I suggest that you google “cpan uninstall” and look through the different approaches to find one that you’re comfortable with.

There’s one other place GnuCash stores user state: ~/Library/Preferences/org.gnucash.Gnucash.plist, which you can simply remove or move aside to get a default set of preferences the next time you start GnuCash.

Regards,
John Ralls