One account for both Income and Expenses possible?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 05:39:22 EST 2018

Jeff,

Buying inventory is not an expense transaction. It’s an asset acquisition. (or rather, shift)

See my other reply to the original question.

A purchase of inventory looks like this:

Dr. Assets:Current Assets:Inventory	$100
	Cr. Assets:Current Assets:Cash		$100

(or Bank instead of Cash as the case may be)

This transaction does not affect Total Assets on your balance sheet, it just moves them from Cash/Bank to Inventory, both of which are ‘current’ because they are expected to be liquid within the reporting period. (likely one year)

So you’d go from this:

	Assets:Current
		Cash			$100
		Inventory		$  0
					====
	Total Assets			$100

	Total Liabilities		$  0

	Equity
		Paid-in Capital		$100
		Retained Earnings	$  0
					====
	Total Liabilities & Equity	$100

To this:

	Assets:Current
		Cash			$  0
		Inventory		$100
					====
	Total Assets			$100

	Total Liabilities		$  0

	Equity
		Paid-in Capital		$100
		Retained Earnings	$  0
					====
	Total Liabilities & Equity	$100

The P&L is not affected at all. You have made neither a profit or realized any loss as of yet.

Selling inventory looks like this:

Dr. Assets:Current Assets:Cash			$110
Dr. Expenses:Cost of Goods Sold			$ 50
	Cr. Assets:Current Assets:Inventory		$ 50
	Cr. Liability:Sales Tax Payable			$ 10
	Cr. Income:Sales				$100

Now your P&L looks like this:

	Income:Sales		$100

	Cost of Goods Sold(-)	$ 50

	Gross Margin		$ 50
				====

	Operating Expenses(-)	$  0
				====
	Net Profit		$ 50

(Net profit flows to Equity:Retained Earnings)

Now, the Balance Sheet looks like this:

	Assets:Current
		Cash			$110
		Inventory		$ 50