Users replying to digest rather than starting a new thread

Dean Gibson gnucash.stuff at mailpen.com
Tue Feb 13 18:11:12 EST 2018

On 2018-02-13 09:31, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> [prior message omitted]
> There was a discussion about this on the HP/Agilent Yahoo group a week or
> two ago. Someone mentioned that some other group he was a member of, anyone
> that receives the digest was on 'permanent moderation' so if ever they
> replied to a digest, it would be blocked. If they replied to a non-digest
> message, the moderator would let it pass. This does not seem unreasonable
> to me, because it inconveniences a lot of people to have a subject such as
> the month of the digest, rather than something more specific.
>
> Dave

Seems very reasonable, but for me personally, it doesn't matter:  I
delete ALL messages (no matter what the forum) that have a subject of a
"digest".

Aside from being thoughtless, self-centered, and clueless, replies to
digests are INHERENTLY STUPID:  By the very nature of digests, they
usually don't include the more recent messages on a topic.  As a result,
any reply usually duplicates ideas (eg, solutions) in later messages
(that weren't included in the digest).

My advice?  Disable digests, & explain to new users why the subject line
is important if one gets a lot of eMail.