2.6.19: find source of imbalance in reconciled accounts

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at dialup4less.com
Wed Feb 14 11:14:25 EST 2018

On 2/13/2018 12:43 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   I'm puzzled how I can find the source of the imbalance at the bottom of
> the 2017 trial balance report when both the checking and saving accounts
> reconcile with the bank's records (as of today). The trial balance
> period is
> 1 Jan 2017 through 31 Dec 2017.
>
>   Please provide a clue stick where I should start looking.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rich
  What I don't understand is why you think the checking and savings
accounts agreeing with the bank's records should have anything to do
with it. Maybe consider going back over the "basics of double entry
bookkeeping".

But I'll try to help. Go to the Imbalance account. For each transaction
there, go to* the other account which is almost certainly the account
from which you entered the transaction. From that view of things you
should notice that you failed to specify the account that was the other
side of this transaction. That every transaction in double entry
bookkeeping has AT LEAST two accounts associated with it is basic.

I wish as easy as I made this sound. Back when you originally entered
the transaction you probably knew what it was about. You might now be
faced with the question "what was that check #1234 written back on June
7th, 2017 for? I can see it was in the XYZ store, but they sell all
sorts of things". You MAY end up having to create another expense
account for "unknown".

Michael D Novack

*  You can see from the transaction in Imbalance a date and the name of
the other account