2.6.19: Accounts reconciled; trial balance has imbalance

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Feb 14 11:23:00 EST 2018

On Tue, 13 Feb 2018, John Ralls wrote:

> Try this: Set the Start of Adjusting/Closing on 1 Jan 2017 and the Date of
> Report on 30 June 2017. If it's in balance, change the report date to 30
> September, otherwise to 31 March. If it's now (or still) in balance change
> it again to halfway between the current date and the out-of-balance date.
> Keep doing that until you find the first date where it's out of balance,
> then use the General Ledger to look at all of the transactions on that
> date. One of them is off. Fix it and repeat the process until it's in
> balance for the year.

John,

   This is how we used to find bugs in programs before debuggers were
available, but I didn't think of applying it to the bookkeeping application.

   Found some, perhaps a half-dozen, and fixed those. All is split
transactions, as David Carlson suggested.

   What's strange is that now all split transactions have their imbalances
removed, the total imbalance is greater than before. :-(

   There are no stock, bond, or foreign currency transations, all US$ in
checks or cash. If you have further ideas where these discrepancies might be
hiding please let me know and I'll check them. Otherwise, each non-split
transaction is balanced between the asset account (checking or cash) and an
expense or liability account.

Regards,

Rich