How to export structure without transactions?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 19:57:01 EST 2018

The import should assign them to whatever accounts you map. (the ‘other side’ of each being the account you are importing) If any do not, they’ll be assigned to the imbalance account so they’ll be easy to find and fix.

The only issue with balances is that you’ll have to adjust your opening balance entry for that particular account. So if you started with 2018 with an opening balance there and then started entering or importing prior transactions, you’ll need the real opening balance from 2017 to have everything still be the correct balance as of today.

While some may cringe at the suggestion, it’s quite easy to simply change the date on your opening balance entry to 1/1/17 and correct it. The other route would be to make a new opening balance entry as of that date, but this will look odd since it’s back-dated, and then you’ll need a correcting entry as of 12/31/17 to keep the 1/1/18 entry from doubling your balance. There are times when I see the point of correcting entries. This is not one of them, you’re re-building your books in a different format. The entries really shouldn’t be corrected, just translated. It’s okay to directly edit errors produced by either the import process or by choice of order of import.

Regards,
Adrien